Answers to Top Questions about Jockimo’s Interactive Flooring Lava Tiles
Interested in learning more about Jockimo Liquid Lava™? The exciting, swirling, interactive tiles can be used in a variety of settings and applications. Here we offer answers to the most common and pressing questions we get about these lava tiles.
11 Frequently Asked Questions about Jockimo’s Liquid Lava™ Tiles
1. Are Liquid Lava™ tiles customizable?
Yes! There are standard colors and sizes (see below), but we are also able to accommodate custom sizes, colors, and shapes.
2. What colors are available?
Standard colors include the following:
There is even a transparent backlit option as well.
See the standard color options here. (Remember, different monitors will display the colors with slight variation.)
For custom colors beyond the standard palette, please feel free to reach out, and we can discuss.
Every Liquid Lava™ tile is made of two sheets of polycarbonate. (Learn more about polycarbonate here.) The top layer of a tile is the anti-slip surface. Especially when it comes to flooring, this is essential. Floor tiles, table tops, and countertops are all given a coarse surface. The bottom layer is a shockproof component. A nontoxic interior liquid is added.
These two layers are sealed by a rigid polycarbonate, which creates a single, unified tile.
4. What Liquid Lava™ applications are available?
Our lava tiles are available as any of the following:
- Floor tiles.
- Table tops.
- Countertops or bar tops.
5. What are the standard sizes for Liquid Lava™ tiles?
Liquid Lava™ tiles are available in the following sizes:
- Circle: 60 cm (23.6”) diameter
- Circle: 80 cm (31.49”) diameter
- Circle: 100 cm (39.37”) diameter
- Square: 49.7 cm x 49.7 cm (19.566” x 19.566”)
- Square: 60 cm x 60 cm (23.6” x 23.6”)
- Square: 99.4 cm x 99.4 cm (39.133” x 39.133”)
Custom shapes and sizes will be considered. Please contact us with your requirements, and we’ll review the request.
6. What are the ideal conditions for using Liquid Lava™ tiles?
Every Liquid Lava™ tile can resist temperatures as high as 140 degrees Fahrenheit, or 60 degrees Celsius. Ideal operating conditions, however, are between 50 degrees Fahrenheit, or 10 degrees Celsius, and 104 degrees Fahrenheit, or 40 degrees Celsius.
Please note, while the tiles will operate as designed in colder temperatures, it also makes them more susceptible to damage.
Do not install the lava tiles vertically. Gravity will cause the interior liquid to pool at the bottom of the tile, and it will not operate as designed.
7. How thick are Liquid Lava™ tiles?
After fabrication, a lava floor tile is approximately ¼” thick. A countertop lava tile is 1 1/8” thick.
8. How much do Liquid Lava™ tiles weigh?
Every finished floor tile comes in around 5.8 pounds or 2.63 kilograms.
9. What is the Liquid Lava™ Shore durometer score?
A liquid lava tile (flooring or countertop) has a Shore durometer score of 66/77D.
The Shore durometer scale is a standardized means to measure the hardness of plastics and elastomers (rubber). As a point of reference, a hard hat comes in around 80D.
10. There are air bubbles in my lava tile. Should I be concerned?
Not at all. Small air bubbles can appear in the tiles after use. It’s completely normal, and many patrons find it adds to the aesthetic appeal and playfulness of the product. In no way do these air bubbles negatively affect the functionality of the product.
11. How do I clean and maintain my lava tiles?
An auto polishing metallic wax should be applied periodically. Apply this directly to the tile with a mop. For everyday cleaning, common household detergents will be effective.
Practices and Products to Avoid
- Don’t use automatic cleaning machinery or polishing wheels on the tile.
- Don’t use solvent wax, acetones, or PVC solvents.
- Add protective pads under furniture or chair legs to avoid surface damage to the tile.